(Updated at Mar 24 / 2023)
Anxiety disorders cause big distress
Sometimes everybody feels anxious. It’s a quite normal emotion. In fact, many people feel a bit nervous when they’re faced with some problem at work, while making the important decision, or before taking an exam. Anxiety disorders are very different. They may cause big distress, which may interfere with person’s ability to continue his normal life. Such disorder is the serious mental disease. For patients, who suffer from such illness, fear and worry are quite overwhelming and constant, sometimes they may be disabling. Fortunately, with correct treatment, a lot of people may manage such feelings and return to their fulfilling life.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Traditionally, there are some groups:
Specific phobias. In fact, these are some intense fears of specific situation or an object, like for example, flying or heights. As a rule, the fear’s level is inappropriate to the specific situation and may cause person to avoid everyday and usual situations.
Social anxiety disorder. This kind’s also called as “social phobia”. It involves self-consciousness and overwhelming worry about usual everyday situations in society. Often the worry centers on the fear that person will be judged by others. Sometimes it depends on behaving in a specific way, which may lead to ridicule or cause an embarrassment.
Panic disorder. Those patients, who suffer from such condition, usually have feelings of the terror, which strike repeatedly and suddenly without any warnings. Other symptoms of the panic attack may include palpitations (irregular or unusually strong heartbeats), sweating, chest pain, and a choking’s feeling. It may feel like person’s having the heart attack or he’s "going crazy."
Generalized anxiety disorder. It’s unrealistic excessive tension, even if there's just little or nothing at all to provoke this anxiety.
Treating of Anxiety Disorders
Fortunately, very much progress was made during the previous years in the treating of people suffering from mental illnesses, particularly anxiety disorders. Though an exact treatment approach completely depends on type of mental disorder, some therapies of the following ones can be used for effective treating of most anxiety disorders:
• Psychotherapy: This is the type of counseling, which addresses an emotional response to the mental disease. It’s a process during which experienced mental health professionals may help patients by talking through different strategies for dealing with patient’s disorder and understanding it.
• Cognitive-behavioral therapy: It’s a particular type of the psychotherapy during which the patient learns to recognize & change thought behaviors and patterns, which lead to the troublesome feelings.
• Medications: Medical products reduce the anxiety disorders’ symptoms. Such treating includes low-dose antipsychotics, certain anticonvulsant medicines, many antidepressants, and some other anxiety-reducing products.
• Relaxation therapy
• Lifestyle and dietary changes
Anxiety disorders can’t be prevented; nevertheless, there are several things, which person may do to lessen and control the symptoms:
• Ask the pharmacist or doctor before starting the treatment with any kind of over-the-counter herbal remedies or medicines. |
• Look for support and counseling in case you start to feel anxious regularly without any apparent cause.
• Stop and reduce the consumption of products, which contain caffeine, like for example, chocolate, coffee, cola, energy drinks, and tea.
• Many products contain chemicals, which may increase patients’ anxiety symptoms.