Modafinil is an antinarcoleptic medication which effect is based on the promotion of wakefulness through the prevention of recapture of dopamine in the presynaptic cleft. This promotes the volume of extra—cellular dopamine associated with improved wakefulness and cognitive functions enhancement. The medication is also used for other conditions to cope with sleepiness and by people without any disorders as a drug to improve memory, focus, speed of thinking, and so on.
Vyvanse is a medication based on Lisdexamfetamine. It is a psychostimulant from amphetamine group, dexamphetamine prodrug used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and compulsive (psychogenic) overeating. Off-label the medication is used for cognitive functions enhancement and weight loss in people without eating disorders.
Analeptics, nootropics, eugeroics, wakefulness-promoting agents
Psychostimulant, CNS stimulant, from amphetamine group
Modafinil, Provigil, Modavigil others
Vyvanse, Venvanse, Elvanse, Tyvense, Lisdexamfetamine others
Form of release
Tablets for oral administration by 100 and 200 mg of the active agent.
Capsules for oral administration by 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 mg of the active agent.
In the morning regardless of meals.
In the morning regardless of meals.
Daily dosages used
The average dose prescribed a day is 200 mg. The highest dose is 400 mg a day.
The starting dosage is 10 mg and the highest dosage is 70 mg a day. The usual average dosage is 30 mg a day.
Release from pharmacies
Officially approved uses
Narcolepsy, shift work disorder of sleep, and obstructive sleep apnea.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults and children older than 6 years, binge eating disorders.
Modafinil is used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults, depression with lowered productivity, improvement of performance, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, enhancement of cognitive functions, eliminating sleepiness caused by lack of sleep, weather sensitivity, and so on, jet-lag, to lower appetite for weight loss.
Vyvanse is used for the enhancement of physical and psychological performance, weight loss (lowers appetite) in people without eating disorders, jet-lag, and sleepiness associated with health conditions or lack of sleep, and so on.
Time of effect rendered
One tablet of Modafinil renders the effect for 10-12 hours.
One capsule of Vyvanse renders the effect for up to 12 hours.
Mechanism of action
The precise mechanism of Modafinil effect is still not fully studied but it is considered that the formulation is a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor. The inhibition of dopamine reuptake causes elevated level of intercellular dopamine which in its turn promotes wakefulness and improves focus in ADHD. The effect on the cognitive functions improvement isn’t proved scientifically.
The effect of Vyvanse is based on the promotion of release of wakefulness and alertness-promoting amines – dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. Besides, it also as Modafinil prevents their recapturing by the synaptic cleft and therefore significantly increases their intercellular level.
Yes. The symptoms develop in the use of high dosages and abrupt discontinuation of the therapy.
The most common side effects related to Modafinil use are nausea and headache. If the drug is taken in the afternoon, insomnia can develop. In the occurrence of allergic reactions, persistent insomnia, or mental disorder symptoms, the use of the formulation must be ceased.
The most common adverse effects that Vyvanse causes are loss of appetite, weight loss, anorexia, anxiety, diarrhea, dizziness, irritability, dry mouth, insomnia, nausea, vomiting and pain in the upper abdomen, constipation, and rapid heartbeat.
Prohibitions for drugs use
Modafinil must not be used by people who had previously used it and suffered from allergy or other severe side effects, individuals with liver cirrhosis, in age below 18, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, if a patient has a history of hypertension related to the use of any stimulants.
The contraindications for Vyvanse use include severe adverse effects or allergy related to the use of any amphetamine-based formulations, use of MAO inhibitors and two weeks after their cessation, history of drug abuse, heart disease, mental disorders associated with agitation or anxiety, arteriosclerosis, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism, severe hypertension, anorexia, pregnancy and breastfeeding. The use is possible under a strict doctoral supervision in bipolar disorder, depression, raised arterial tension, liver or kidney dysfunctions, mania, psychosis, seizures, thyroid problems, tics, or Tourette.
Abuse and dependence potential
High. The use of Vyvanse in high dosages causes dependence, the need for higher dosages use and withdrawal syndrome.
Interworking with other medicines
Modafinil speeds up the washing out from the body hormonal contraceptives, cyclosporine and other medicines metabolized with the participation of CYP3A4 enzyme. Thus, dosage adjustments and other methods of contraception can be needed. The medication enhances the effect of Omeprazole and some other medicines so if you take any medications, inform your doctor about them to get a comprehensive consultation on dosage adjustments.
The use of Vyvanse with MAO inhibitors is contraindicated as it can cause severe uncontrolled elevation of arterial tension and sudden death. Formulations that acidify the urine, for instance, ascorbic acid, enhance the washing out of Vyvanse and lower the time of its effect. Formulations that alkalinize the urine, such as sodium bicarbonate, lower the washing out of Vyvanse and extend the time of its effect and potential adverse effects.
- Before starting the use of Modafinil, it is important to undergo a comprehensive medical check up to figure the reason for excessive sleepiness. If there are no underlying causes that require therapy, you can use the stimulant.
- Women should use barrier contraception methods while taking Modafinil to avoid pregnancy as the hormone-based birth control pills and other means are ineffective when taken with the stimulant.
- Take a single pill in the morning to avoid developing persistent insomnia.
- If you want to take the medication for off-label purposes, you can try microdosing, i.e. using a half of the pill a day. In the majority of cases, for people without sleepiness disorders this is sufficient.
- The medication is relatively safe but if any allergic reactions such as rash or swelling of the face, lips, tongue occur, the therapy must be immediately discontinued as the negative symptoms can develop into anaphylaxis.
- Vyvanse, as well as other amphetamines, has high addiction and abuse potential especially if taken in high doses.
- The abrupt discontinuation of Vyvanse use can cause side effects associated with withdrawal syndrome.
- The medication can cause severe heart dysfunction leading to sudden death. Thus, people with even minor heart diseases must not use Vyvanse. In the raise of arterial tension the use of the drug must be immediately discontinued.
- In the occurrence of allergic reactions the therapy must be discontinued. - People with mental disorders associated with agitation, anxiety, mania, psychosis, and so on can experience the flare up of the symptoms while using the stimulant so they can use it only under a doctoral control and discontinue the use immediately in such symptoms.
- Amphetamines can interfere with child’s growth so if a child is given Vyvanse, his or her growth rate must be monitored by a specialist.
- The medication must not be used with any medicines that influence the level of serotonin as it can lead to sudden death.
Number of tablets
As you can see from our guide, both Modafinil and Vyvanse are effective and potent medications but Modafinil has much fewer adverse effects and can do much less harm in the off-label use. If you want to get a qualitative effective and harmless brain function stimulant, you can buy Modafinil online from our drugstore.