Nuvigil is one of the names under which a formulation with an unpatented name Armodafinil is sold. It is a slightly modified version of Modafinil which is designed for management of sleepiness episodes in narcolepsy. Besides, the formulation is used in obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) as this condition is related to bad sleep and daytime sleepiness, and shift-work sleep disorder (SWSD). The pills of Nuvigil are also popular for off-label uses when it is used as a “smart drug”, i.e. the drug that can make people reveal their full brain capacity.
Adderall is stimulant primarily prescribed for attention hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy but also used off-label also as a “smart drug”. The formulation is based on two different amphetamine salts that act slightly differently and enhance effects of each other resulting in improved wakefulness, alertness, focus, memory, and other cognitive functions.
Key drug features
Wakefulness-promoting agents, nootropics
Amphetamines, stimulators of central nervous system
Pills for oral administration
Pills for oral administration, rectal suppositories, sublingual pills
Time of intake
Nuvigil should be taken either early in the morning or any time before midday.
Adderall is used from one to three times a day depending on the appointed dosage regimen.
Lowest and highest dosages used per day
The lowest dosage of Nuvigil that can be sufficient for off-label uses is a half of 150 mg pill. For approved uses, the minimum dosage is 150 mg a day. If it doesn’t provide the expected results, two pills can be used a day.
The lowest dosage of Adderall per day is 5mg taken once a day. Higher dosages are split into several intakes. The highest safe daily dosage is 60 mg.
Release from pharmacies
With prescription only (in some countries can be bought over-the-counter).
With prescription only (in some countries is a controlled substance).
Narcolepsy, SWSD, OSA
ADHD, sluggishness and low productivity due to lack of night sleep, jet-lag, apathy caused by depression, Parkinson’s disease, and so on, enhancement of cognitive functions (i.e. as a “smart drug”). Due to its ability to lower appetite, the medication is also used for weight loss.
Adderall is commonly used as a “smart drug”, i.e. to improve focus, memory, speed of thinking, and so on. Due to its ability to lower appetite, the medication is also used for weight loss.
Names on the market
Nuvigil, Armod, Artvigil, and others
Adderall, Mydayis, others
Duration of stimulating effect
Nuvigil renders a stimulating, and cognitive functions-enhancing effects for up to 15 hour but the time can vary due to the fast or slow metabolism of the user.
Adderall renders stimulating effect for up to four hours after a single dosage use.
Principle of effect
Nuvigil acts as its predecessor Modafinil by mildly inhibiting the recapture of dopamine in the synaptic cleft. This allows increasing the level of intracellular dopamine which results in increased wakefulness. Besides, it also slightly increases the level of histamine which also plays an important role in wakefulness and alertness. To date, it isn’t fully understood how the medications enhance cognitive functions but during the trials on animals had been clearly shown that the stimulant also activates different areas of the brain.
Adderall, as well as Nuvigil, increases the level of intracellular dopamine by inhibiting its reuptake but it also promotes its initial production. Besides, the medication promotes the release of epinephrine, serotonin, and histamine. This ensures improved alertness, improvement of cognitive functions such as memory, and improved mood.
Negative effects associated with withdrawal
Yes. Adderall, especially used in high dosages, when abruptly discontinued can cause the ricochet reactions such as sleepiness, irritability, and others.
Possible negative effects
The most common negative effects of Nuvigil are trouble falling asleep, headache, and nausea. They are easily eliminated with the decrease of the dosage. Other temporary symptoms can include diarrhea or upset stomach. In case of their occurrence, it is advised to take the drug after a meal. The dangerous side effects as in case with any other medicines are allergic reactions as they can lead to anaphylaxis and death. Thus, in their occurrence, the use of Nuvigil must be discontinued.
Adderall commonly causes negative reactions such as physical and mental dependence, various allergic reactions that can develop into anaphylaxis. In case of allergy development, the drug use must be discontinued. Mild negative effects include dryness of the mouth, ache in the abdomen, loss of appetite, constipation or diarrhea, anxiety, tremor, headache, dizziness, trouble falling asleep, low sex drive, panic attacks, and others.
When the drug use is prohibited?
Nuvigil is prohibited to be taken by pregnant women, kids, and people with liver cirrhosis, allergy to the drug, severe heart diseases, and negative experience taking other stimulants. It is not advised to use Nuvigil for people with history of drug abuse.
Adderall is contraindicated during pregnancy, for people with a history of drug abuse, allergy to the drug or other amphetamine salts, heart diseases, mental disorders associated with anxiety, agitation, mania, panic attacks, and so on; people with arteriosclerosis, glaucoma, hyper function of thyroid, people who use MAO inhibitors people with eating disorders, depression, elevated blood pressure, liver or kidney problems, people with any diseases who have seizures, people suffering from tics or Tourette syndrome.
High (as a part of illicit drugs or in high doses)
Addiction development potential
- Adderall can be a reason for trouble falling asleep so it is important to take it before midday.
- People with a history of allergy should consult their doctor before starting the therapy with the drug as Aderrall can cause severe allergies.
- The use of the medication is advised to be made in low dosages as high dosages are more likely to cause dependence.
- During the first day of the formulation use, refrain from driving as the drug can be poorly tolerated and cause dizziness, panic attacks, and so on.
- If the medication is used for children, their growth rate must be regularly controlled.
- Take Nuvigil always before midday to avoid insomnia.
- If you are on birth control pills, add additional barrier contraception methods as Nuvigil significantly lowers the effect of hormonal contraceptives.
- People with heart diseases should use the medication carefully and in any signs of chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and so on, inform their doctors.
- Adderall must not be used with any MAO inhibitors and within 2 weeks after their use discontinuation.
- During the stimulant use, the use of any other stimulants or medicines that raise blood tension is highly not recommended.
- Aderrall must not be used with any formulations that elevate the level of serotonin (SSRI, other antidepressants, cocaine, etc.) due to the possibility of serotonin syndrome development which can be fatal. In case you already use any medications when you plan to buy Adderall, consult your doctor first on the drugs compatibility.
- Nuvigil enhances the effect of CYP3A4 enzyme and promotes the excretion of certain groups of drugs such as opioids, hormonal drugs, and others.
- Do not use any other stimulants with Nuvigil as it can enhance the negative effects.
- The drug makes oral contraceptives ineffective so other contraception methods should be used to avoid unplanned pregnancy.
Number of pills
Based on our guide you can see that both Adderall and Nuvigil are potent stimulants that can effectively help coping with sleepiness and enhancing brain function. However, Nuvigil use is considered much safer due to the lower possibility of side effects and addiction development. We offer you to buy Nuvigil without Rx at our online drugstore and enjoy free international delivery if you order pills for $170 or more.