What is Modafinil and can it be used for ADHD?
Modafinil is a name of the active agent used in multiple brand and generic medications approved for promotion of wakefulness in narcolepsy, shift-work sleep disorder, and not getting enough sleep due to sleep apnea. The off-label uses of the medication, i.e. not officially approved uses, include the use for ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) among others. There had been several studies that show effectiveness of the formulation for the improvement of attention and ability to learn in people with ADHD. But the FDA hadn’t approved the medication for this use yet. Besides, Modafinil is a prescription medication which release is controlled.
How is Modafinil used for ADHD?
Although there are no specific dosages for ADHD as the medication is not approved for it, usually the dosages are the same as for narcolepsy (200 mg a day) but the therapy should be started with the lower dosing or microdosing, i.e. dividing a pill into two equal parts.
If you want to buy Modafinil for ADHD based on your therapist’s recommendations, make sure to consult him or her about the dosages suitable for your case.
Regular doses and time of intake for ADHD
The pills should be taken in the morning with or without food. If you have a sensitive stomach, it is better to take the pills after a breakfast. The regular dosage is 200 mg a day but it is preferable to start with 100 mg or even a half of 100 mg pill, i.e. 50 mg a day to see how you tolerate the formulation and for how long the effect lasts to better understand how it works for you. When using the medication, it is advised to refrain from alcohol consumption as their interaction hadn’t been studied.
Adverse reactions Modafinil use in ADHD can cause
In general, the medication is well tolerated and rarely causes any adverse reactions. However, the possible negative symptoms include:
- Back pain,
- Anxiety and irritability.
The possible serious side effects are allergic reactions such as skin rash, swelling, and others. Besides, very few individuals who had been using the formulation reported the occurrence of new mental disorder symptoms which they associate with the formulation use such as depressive mood, aggressive behavior, and others.
If you have any of the serious adverse reactions, you should stop using Modafinil immediately and consult your doctor.
Modafinil use in ADHD precautions
- If you have any heart problems or hypertension, or family history of severe heart diseases, inform your doctor about it as you may need adjusted dosages or maybe even won’t be recommended to take the medication.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever suffered from any mental disorder associated with mania, increased irritability, and other, including bipolar disorder. Modafinil is highly not recommended to be used in such conditions as it can worsen their symptoms. If you have the symptoms while taking the pills, inform your physician immediately.
- Senior or weakened patients also need special attention while using Modafinil as their liver and kidney function can be decreased which increases the likelihood of adverse effects occurrence.
- The medication doesn’t cause dependence if used as prescribed in the instruction. However, people who have history of substance abuse should be careful using even such non-addictive substances as Modafinil.
- The use of Modafinil is contraindicated in any signs of intolerance of the formulation such as allergic reaction or occurrence of mental disorders symptoms.
- The safety of the formulation use in pregnant and breastfeeding women isn’t studied so it is highly advised to refrain from taking the pills during these periods.
- The safety of the pills use in individuals with ADHD under 18 years isn’t studied so they are not advised to be given the medication.
Interactions of Modafinil
If you take any Rx medications – consult your healthcare provider whether you can combine Modafinil with them or not.
The most notable interactions with the medication include:
- Severe adverse reactions can occur in combination of Modafinil with illegal stimulants such as cocaine, ecstasy and others.
- Modafinil significantly lowers the effect of hormonal birth control means so women who use it must consult their doctors on preferable reliable means of contraception to use while taking the stimulant.
- The medication is unsafe to use with MAO inhibitors.
- Modafinil accelerates the washing out of certain medications from the body making them less effective. One of such medications is cyclosporine. - The stimulant prolongs the effect of certain formulation such as Omeprazole, Phenytoin, and diazepam.
- Caffeine and other stimulants can mutually potentiate the negative effects when used with Modafinil. In general, before you buy Modafinil for ADHD, it is recommended to inform your physician about all of the drugs, vitamins, and supplements you take so that he or she would be able to advise you on the interactions, intervals between the intakes, precautions measures, and side effects in case of which the use of certain medicines must be discontinued.
What is Modafinil and can it be used for ADHD? similar articles:
Some of the trademarks used in this Web Site appear for identification purposes only.
All orders are reviewed by a licensed physician and pharmacist before being dispensed and shipped.
The statements contained herein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The statements are for informational purposes only and is it not meant to replace the services or recommendations of a physician or qualified health care practitioner. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.
Buy Online Generic Drug on our Reputable Pharmacy.