Is your erectile dysfunction caused by organic or psychogenic reasons?
It is generally believed that impotence, or more correctly, erectile dysfunction (ED), is a condition that affects men over 60 years of age. First of all, it has nothing to do with the age itself. And secondly, it is not a separate condition as it can develop as one of the symptoms of different health conditions.
Erectile dysfunction or inability to achieve and preserve the hardness of the penis during intercourse, can occur due to either organic causes or psychogenic causes.
Organic causes include all physical health conditions, i.e. injuries, central nervous system disorders, glands disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure, use of certain medications, and so on.
Psychogenic causes include stress, depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias (including when fearing to hurt your partner), and so on.
Men aged 40 or younger are more likely to develop psychogenic ED, so they are advised to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist to look for an underlying condition.
Men aged 50 and older usually have a number of factors that can cause ED, especially, if they have bad habits such as smoking, abusing alcohol, eating fast food, and so on. Usually around this age develop chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), and others which when untreated and paired with an unhealthy lifestyle are likely to cause erectile dysfunction. Thus, men of this age should first get a general medical examination appointed by a physician and then go to narrow-specialization doctors if needed, for instance, endocrinologist, cardiologist, neurologist, and so on.
How can you know if you have organic or psychogenic erectile dysfunction?
Even before going to a doctor a man can identify or at least make a guess about the nature of ED in his case.
Organic erectile dysfunction is usually characterized by:
- Gradual worsening of sexual function, i.e. longer time to get an erection, shorter time penis is erect each time;
- Trouble with erection occur constantly even during masturbation;
- There is no night/morning erection;
- A man has chronic diseases or other symptoms that signalize about underlying diseases.
- Problems with erection occurred simultaneously or a bit later as you started using a certain medication.
- Problems with erection occurred after you had been injured.
Psychogenic erectile dysfunction is usually characterized by:
- Spontaneous development of problems with erection;
- Night and morning erection is maintained;
- Normal erection when masturbating;
- Problems with erection usually occur after stress or a long day at work;
- Erection never disappears during sex.
How can you treat erectile dysfunction?
Naturally, like with any other disease or symptom, it is preferable to identify the precise cause of ED and try to eliminate it. For instance, if it is diabetes or excessive weight, you should direct your attention and effort to manage these problems.
It is in general recommended as a prevention and treatment of ED to review your lifestyle choices are make changes:
- Make sure you physically exercise at least three hours a week;
- Minimize alcohol consumption;
- Quit tobacco smoking;
- Avoid medicines that can cause ED or consult your doctor on how to minimize the symptoms or look for their analogs without this side effect;
- Try eating clean at least five days of the week meaning no or low sugar, unhealthy fats, and so on. - Make sure you keep under control your chronic diseases;
- Get an overall health checkup at least once a year.
What drugs can you use for ED?
Therapy with drugs is considered the safest and providing the most satisfactory results for ED. Although there are no pills that can cure ED completely to date, the popular medicines taken before intercourse can help men with any type of ED equally for a limited period of time.
There are three main substances used for ED drugs: Tadalafil, Sildenafil, and Vardenafil. All branded and generic drugs with proven effect for ED are based on either of these substances.
Their effect is the same – they promote the relaxation of the smooth muscles in the penis and thus facilitate the blood inflow to the genitalia making it erect.
Even men who suffer from psychogenic ED can enjoy the effect of these drugs as the improved blood inflow to the penis in stimulation is potent enough so it won’t be stopped by psychological problems. However, it doesn’t mean that the underlying condition can be left untreated. We advise seeing these medicines as a symptomatic aid, like drugs for allergy that do not cure it but alleviate the symptoms but the major part in eliminating the condition is the elimination of its cause.
The major benefit of ED pills such as Tadalafil (brand drug Cialis and multiple generic versions) is its safety for use even in men over 70 years of age. There are only a few contraindications and some mild side effects (you can see the whole description on the page of the drug).
Here you can find the prices, time of effect, and dosages of the three main ED drugs available at our online drugstore
Is your erectile dysfunction caused by organic or psychogenic reasons? similar articles:
Some of the trademarks used in this Web Site appear for identification purposes only.
All orders are reviewed by a licensed physician and pharmacist before being dispensed and shipped.
The statements contained herein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The statements are for informational purposes only and is it not meant to replace the services or recommendations of a physician or qualified health care practitioner. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.