Generic Tofranil or Imipramine is used for
Generic Tofranil is often used in treatment of moderate to severe depression, but it is also related to bedwetting medication and treatment of neuropathic pain. As an antidepressant, it takes about one to three weeks for the optimal effects to be manifested. What sets it apart from other medication of the similar quality is the fact that it is approved for treatments of children aged 6 and younger, making it one of the very few choices for treatments in this age range. Initial dose for patients can be as low as 30mg per day, and maximal prescribed doses should not go over 150-200 mg per day for adults.
Generic Treating depression. It is also used in some children to help reduce bedwetting. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.Tofranil is a tricyclic antidepressant. It works by increasing the activity of certain chemicals in the brain that help elevate mood.
How to use Tofranil
Use Tofranil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tofranil comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Tofranil refilled.
- Take Tofranil by mouth with or without food.
- Taking Tofranil at bedtime may help reduce side effects (eg, daytime drowsiness). Discuss this possibility with your doctor.
- It may take 1 to 3 weeks before you notice the effect of Tofranil . Continue to use Tofranil even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Tofranil , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you take 1 dose daily at bedtime, do not take the missed dose the next morning.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use generic Tofranil.
Possible side effects of Tofranil
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; excitement; headache; impotence; nausea; nightmares; pupil dilation; sensitivity to sunlight; sweating; tiredness; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness; weight loss or gain.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sex drive; chest pain; confusion; constipation; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; frequent or difficult urination; hallucinations; impulsive behavior or other unusual changes in behavior; jaw, neck, or muscle spasms; mental or mood changes (eg, increased anxiety, mood swings, agitation, irritability, nervousness, restlessness); panic attacks; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness or drowsiness; sore throat; stomach pain; suicidal thinking or behavior; swelling of the testicles; tremor; trouble sleeping; trouble walking or keeping your balance; twitching of the face or tongue; uncontrolled movements of arms and legs or stiffness; unusual bleeding or bruising; worsening of depression; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider.
Proper storage of Tofranil
Store Tofranil at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly sealed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tofranil out of the reach of children and away from pets.