Modafinil vs Ritalin comparison
Modafinil is an analeptic agent that makes people with narcolepsy lead a normal life without sudden falling asleep typical for the condition. The medication is also approved for other sleepiness disorders and is also used out-label for cognitive functions enhancement or as a stimulant in healthy individuals.
Ritalin is a stimulant. It can stimulate the central nervous system like amphetamines; also stimulates the cerebral cortex and subcortical structures. It is used for the therapy of symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. Besides, it is also used out-label as a brain function stimulant in healthy people.
Comparison of Modafinil vs Ritalin
Precautions for Modafinil use
- Do not use the pills in the second half of the day or you can face trouble falling asleep at night.
- Get a precise diagnosis to find out the reason for sleepiness before fighting it as you may need additional treatment besides the use of Modafinil.
- Consult your doctor if you take any other medications.
- If you notice skin rash or even mild puffing of the face, lips, tongue, and so on, cease the medication use and inform your doctor.
Precautions for Ritalin use
-The therapy of individuals with ADHD should be prescribed based on a very careful analysis of the severity of symptoms and their chronic course. It is required to carefully study the history of heart diseases in a family of a patient and conduct a physical examination to detect heart disease.
- The harmlessness of long-term use of Ritalin has not been studied sufficiently. Therefore, it is not advised to use the medication without interruptions for more than a year. Besides, patients taking should be regularly examined and monitored for their cardiovascular system, growth, appetite, the emergence of new or worsening course of existing mental disorders. Mental disorders that take place must be controlled, including tics, aggressive behavior, unhealthy agitation, anxiety, depressive mood, psychosis, alienation, and others.
- The need for Ritalin use continuation should be periodically reevaluated especially for children.
- Sudden deaths related to stroke and myocardial infarctions have been reported among adults who have received CNS stimulant therapy to treat ADHD. The fault of Ritalin in these cases has not been identified but it is proven that adult patients are more prone to heart dysfunctions when using the medication than children.
-Ritalin must not be appointed to elderly patients as its safety has not been studied in this category of patients.
- Normal dosages of Ritalin can cause psychotic episodes in individuals without previous symptoms occurrence. If they occur, they can be caused by the therapy so it should be stopped.
Interactions of Modafinil
- Modafinil significantly interacts with hormonal contraceptives and cyclosporine lowering their effects. If these medicines are used together, their dosages should be adjusted by a doctor.
Interactions of Ritalin
- Ritalin can slow down the metabolism of several medications and thus extend their effects including negative ones. These medications are anticoagulants, anticonvulsants, tricyclic and SSRI antidepressive drugs. When the formulations are used simultaneously, dosage adjustments can be required.
- It is prohibited to combine the formulation with the use of MAO inhibitors. The break between the therapies should be at least two weeks.
- Alcohol increases the level of the formulation in the blood by 40% and can potentiate the negative effects. From our comparison you can clearly see that both drugs are very effective and widely used yet Modafinil has much less negative effects on the body and can be used safely by almost anyone. If you need a potent cognitive function enhancer you can buy Modafinil from our pharmacy without a prescription.