Modafinil is a new generation wakefulness-promoting agent developed for narcolepsy management and used also off-label for the enhancement of cognitive functions, to promote wakefulness and vigilance in healthy people, help people with impaired cognitive functions due to brain injury, chemotherapy, or mental disorders such as depression. The medication is safe to use and doesn’t cause dependence.
Adderall is a medicinal compound made of two amphetamine salts, 75% salts of dextroamphetamine and 25% of salts of levoamphetamine, and is a derivative of phenylethylamine. Adderall is used in a number of countries for the treatment of ADHD and narcolepsy, however, it is often used illegally to stimulate mental activity, as a drug for doping, an aphrodisiac, as a means for losing weight, and also for the purpose of getting euphoria through drug intoxication.
Amphetamines, stimulator of CNS
Routes of administration
Oral, insufflation, rectal, sublingual.
Oral (by mouth)
Once to thrice a day regardless of meals.
In the morning regardless of meal
5-60 mg split into several intakes(the dosage for oral tablets).(the dosage for oral tablets).
200 mg taken once a day in the morning.
Rx-only In some countries: Controlled substance
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, narcolepsy
Narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, obstructive sleep apnea
Brain function stimulant, cognitive function enhancer weight loss drug, recreational drug.
ADHD, depression, Parkinson disease, loss of cognitive functions due to brain injury, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, opiate-induced sleepiness, depressed cognitive functions after chemotherapy, multiple sclerosis, enhancement of cognitive functions, weight loss medication.
Adderall, Adderall XR, Mydayis, others
Provigil, Modalert, Modafinil, and others
Time of effect
Around 4 hours
Mechanism of action
Two of the active substances of Adderall are amphetamines. Their action is aimed at the elevation of the effects of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. The drug also triggers the production of some hormones such as epinephrine and neurotransmitters such serotonin and histamine. This contributes to the enhancement of alertness, replenishment of energy, temporary improvement of cognitive functions such as memory, focus, and so on.
The principle of Modafinil effect isn’t fully understood. It is considered that it is based on the liberation of catecholamine, norepinephrine and dopamine from synaptic clefts. The medication also elevates the concentration of histamine in the hypothalamus. This allows classifying the drug as a cure for sleepiness rather than a amphetamine-like brain stimulant.
The use of Adderall is related to very frequent adverse reactions. The most frequent and negative of the side effects are the development of physical and psychological dependence, various allergic reactions from simple skin rash, swelling of the lips and tongue to anaphylaxis. There may be adverse reactions on the part of the digestive system, in particular dry mouth, unpleasant sensations in the mouth, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, constipation or diarrhea. From the nervous system part anxiety, tremor, nervousness, agitation, headache, dizziness, and insomnia can develop. Other adverse reactions include low sex drive or impotence, weight loss, euphoria, depersonalization, hallucinations, panic attacks, fear of death, hypertension, fever, blurred vision, confusion, a change in the patient's behavior, respiratory arrest and even coma (in intake of high dosages).
The medication rarely causes adverse effects. Although, depending on the intake of the pill and the dosage taken, such adverse effects as headache, anxiety, insomnia, and nausea may develop. To avoid them, take the pill in the morning and use a single pill a day. Possible severe adverse reactions may include allergic response such as anaphylaxis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, or hallucinations.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding, History of drug abuse, Cardiovascular disease, Severe agitation, Severe anxiety, Advanced arteriosclerosis, Glaucoma, Hyperthyroidism, Use of monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), Anorexia nervosa, Bipolar disorder, Depression, Hypertension, Liver or kidney problems, Mania, Psychosis, Raynaud syndrome, Seizures, Thyroid problems, Tics or Tourette syndrome.
Hypersensitivity to Modafinil pills components; Gestation and breastfeeding periods; Age under 18 years; High blood pressure or vessels diseases, especially while taking other stimulants; Liver cirrhosis. Heart disease, in particular left ventricular hypertrophy or mitral valve prolapse.
Use during pregnancy
High (as a part of illicit drugs or in high doses)
Addiction development potential
- The use of Adderall can cause insomnia if used in the afternoon.
- Individuals who have predisposition to allergy should be careful using Adderall as the medication is associated with frequent allergic responses.
- The addiction to the medication is highly probable in the use of increased dosages. The more frequently the high doses are used, the higher dosage is needed for the desired effect.
- The use of Adderall can cause dizziness so it is advised to refrain from driving or operating any heavy machinery when using the drug.
- If you are going to have a surgical or dental treatment, inform your surgeon or dentist about the medications you use.
- The medication must be cautiously used in children as it can cause more severe adverse reactions and even slow down a child's growth. Get the medication for your kid only if a pediatrician prescribes it.
- The pills of Modafinil must be taken only in the in the first half of the day or they can cause insomnia;
- The medication affects the effect of oral birth control so to avoid pregnancy it is advised to use barrier contraception.
- The medication can cause negative heart symptoms in people with severe heart diseases so it must be used cautiously and only upon a doctor’s approval.
- It is contraindicated to take Adderall with MAO inhibitors as it can cause severe, possibly fatal, adverse reactions. Besides, the use f MAO inhibitors must be stopped several weeks before taking Adderall.
- The medication can have a negative effect on blood pressure and the heart when combined with other substances that elevate the blood tension such as caffeine, illicit drugs, cough-and-cold products or weight loss medications.
- The medication is contraindicated to be taken with any medications that cause the raise of serotonin level as it can cause serotonin toxicity syndrome. These medications include serotonin-reuptake inhibitors, serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors illicit drugs such as ecstasy, and others.
If you plan to start taking Adderall when using any medications, including non-prescription or herbal drugs, consult your doctor first.
- The medication promotes the action of CYP3A4 enzyme so it can accelerate the faster wear out of effect and washing out of certain medications such as opioids and other medicines metabolized with the enzyme participation.
- It is highly not advised to use the medication along with other stimulants of the brain activity or central nervous system stimulants as the accumulated effect can result in enhanced adverse reactions.
If you plan to buy Modafinil while you already take any medications, consult your doctor first.
Number of pills
Modafinil is a new generation wakefulness-promoting drug that has only the positive effects typical for amphetamines but lacks their negative effects. If you want to get a safe and effective wakefulness-promoting medication and a cognitive function enhancer, you should definitely buy Modafinil rather than Adderall.