Abbott - A promise for life Generic drugs
Abbott - A promise for life
Abbott is an American chemical and pharmaceutical corporation included in the Fortune 500 list that includes the largest corporations of the U.S. It was founded in 1888 by the doctor Wallace Abbott in Chicago and in the beginning was named Alkaloidal Abbott Laboratories' Company. The modern name Abbott Laboratories or simply Abbott is used since 1915. The headquarters of the company is in Illinois.
History of the company
The pharmaceutical company was established in 1988 in Chicago by a doctor Wallace Abbott. The idea to found his own company producing medications came to his mind after he found out that the popular in the ninetieth century remedies used in healthcare such as quinine, morphine, and others that were available only in the liquid form and quickly spoiled, could be made into a solid form with a longer shelf life. This was done only a Belgian surgeon but Abbot learned his technique and even improved it. This was the first company’s success in the delivery of efficient medications which became much more popular than liquid forms and by the year 1905, the sales 200 thousand dollars a year. In 1907, the company also spread its geography to London, UK. And by the beginning of the First World War, the importance of the company raised even more substantially and the geography of Abbott medications use greatly increased as the previously used popular German medication’s wasn’t available for obvious reasons. Abbott established the production of American analogs of the German medications such as procaine instead of Novocain, barbital instead of venereal, and so on. In 1916, the company initiated the production of the first ever synthetic medication, an antiseptic called chlorazine.
From 1920sto 1930’s although the U.S. suffered from a severe economic stagnation and crisis, the pharmaceutical company continued to expand its production and research facilities. Then the main medications in development were tranquilizers, vitamins, and other. In 1922, the company registered and started to produce its first painkiller drug called Butin. In 1929, at the peak of the Great Depression, the company went public making its shares available on the Chicago Stock Exchange. Regardless the then current economic situation, the shares started to grow immediately and by the beginning of the 21st century, their value increased 10 thousand times.
In 1935, the company developed its first anesthetic drug. In 1942 it joined the consortium of American pharmaceutical companies that started producing the first antibiotic, penicillin; the total volume of its manufacture had increased 200 times since Abbott joined. Since 1945, the company has been engaged in the development of new antibiotics. Since 1952, Abbott has begun the manufacturing antibiotic erythromycin, which for many years was one of the company's best-selling drugs. Also since 1950, Abbott Laboratories began the production of the sodium cyclamate sweetener, first it was intended for diabetics, but in the 1960s it was widely used in the food industry as a sugar replacement.
Besides producing and developing medications, the company also started to extend its sphere of business to foodstuffs, medical appliances, and so on. It all started in 1964 by the acquisition of M & R Dietetic Laboratories, a manufacturer of the manufacturer of baby food. This company became the basis of the division for the production of baby formula.
In 1977, the company decided to join forces with the Japanese pharmaceutical company Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd. By the year 1979, this cooperation resulted in the patenting of three new medications: anti-seizure drug Depakin, a mild tranquilizer Tranxene, and a medication eliminating blood clots in the lungs called Abbokinase.
In 1972, the company started to produce and marker first appliances to analyze blood. These appliances helped to identify hepatitis. In 1985, the company created the appliance to identify AIDS. Because this appliance was so precise and unique, it soon gained huge spread and the total sales of them made up to a half of the total company’s revenue.
In 1991, the company started to produce a new antibiotic Clarithromycin that came in the place of erythromycin. The substance on which the antibiotic is based was in fact developed by a Japanese pharmaceutical company but Abbott became the company’s partner and became the distributor of the drug in the U.S.
Today we can certainly say that Abbot is not just a pharmaceutical company but a healthcare company. It not only produces the medications which we talked about before, it continues to develop and create new drugs as well as medical devices, diagnostics appliances, consumer products, and foodstuffs.
Striving to cover all aspects of healthcare needs, the company produces a wide range of products developed by its own forces and acquired from other developers. It means that Abbott manufactures not only the branded drugs but also so-called generics, i.e. the medications identical to the original one but made by another company.
As in the beginning of the company’s operation, it remains focused on innovation, best quality, and improvement of life quality of as wide population as possible. The products made by Abbott are available all around the world. Besides, the company strives to make them available at affordable prices.
Products made by Abbott and sold at our online drugstore
RXShopMD sells a number of high-quality medications including drugs made by Abbott. We offer you to buy:
- Avapro (Irbesartan) is a medication used to lower the arterial blood pressure in hypertension caused by various reasons. The drug can be found in blood pressure medications.
- Bactrim (Trimethoprim) is an antibiotic drug used mainly for the treatment of bacterial infections of bladder and urinary tract. The drug can be found in Antibiotics section.
- Calan (Verapamil) is a drug appointed for the management of heart diseases such as angina, violations of the heart rhythm, elevated blood pressure, and others. The drug can be found in blood pressure medications.
- Colospa (Mebeverine) is a drug used to relieve spasms in the digestive tract spasms, intestinal colic, Irritable bowel syndrome, and so on. The mediation can be found in the category of gastrointestinal medications.
- Damizol (Diloxanide Furoate/Metronidazole) is a combination drug used for the treatment of amoebic infections of liver, intestines, and systemic amoebic infections. The mediation can be found in the category of gastrointestinal medications.
- Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) is a gynecological drug used in a variety of conditions such as endometriosis, infertility, threatened miscarriage, premenstrual syndrome, irregular menstrual cycle, uterine bleedings, and others. The medication can be found in the Women’s health section.
- Feldene (Piroxicam) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication used to treat pain, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other joint disorders. You can find this drug in Pain medications section.
- Flagyl (Metronidazole) is n antibacterial drug used for a variety of infections including gastrointestinal disorders and can be found in the category of gastrointestinal medications.
- Hytrin (Terazosin) is an antihypertensive medication used to lower arterial blood pressure but sometimes also used for other heart-related disorders and benign prostatic hyperplasia. It can be found in the blood pressure medications section of our pharmacy.
- Inderal (Propranolol) is a heart medication also used for increased blood pressure. You can find it in the Blood pressure medications section of our pharmacy.
- Motrin also known as Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication that also relieves pain. It is included in our section of Pain medicines.
- Mysoline (Primidon) is appointed for epilepsy and other conditions in which a patient suffers from seizures. If you need this drug, you can buy it from Anticonvulsant medications section.
- Pepcid (Famotidine) is a drug indicated for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases such as ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and others associated with high stomach acidity. The drug is available at gastrointestinal medications category.
- Synthroid is a drug based on Levothyroxine and used in hypothyroidism, nodular goiter, prevention of nodular goiter, and other thyroid diseases including cancer. This drug is available in Thyroid medications.
- Tenormin (Atenolol) is a medication primarily used for hypertension treatment and some other heart conditions. It can be found in the blood pressure medications section of our pharmacy.
- Tofranil (Imipramine) is a tricyclic antidepressant medication used for various mental disorders. You can find it in the Antidepressants section.
Top medications by Abbott - A promise for life:
- Abbott - A promise for life Irbesartan 300 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Trimethoprim 960 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Verapamil 240 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Mebeverine 135 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Diloxanide Furoate / Metronidazole 250/200 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Dydrogesterone 10 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Piroxicam 20 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Metronidazol 400 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Terazosin 5 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Propranolol 80 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Ibuprofen 600 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Primidon 250 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Famotidine 40 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Quetiapine 200 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Levothyroxine 125 mcg
- Abbott - A promise for life Atenolol 100 mg
- Abbott - A promise for life Imipramine 75 mg
Find the latest special offer from pharmaceutical companies:
- Ajanta Pharma Limited
- Aprazer Health Care
- Aristo Pharmaceuticals
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd
- Aurochem Pharmaceuticals
- Aventis Pharma
- Bayer Pharmaceuticals
- Biochem Pharmaceuticals
- Blue Cross Pharma Industry
- Centurion Laboratories
- Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt.Ltd
- Cipla - Caring for life
- Combitic Global Caplet Pvt
- Consern Pharma PVT LTD
- Dharam Pharma Distributors
- Dr Reddy’s Pharmaceuticals
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals
- ESSA Pharma Inc.
- FDC Pharmaceuticals
- Fourrts Laboratories
- Geno Pharma
- German Remedies
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- HAB Pharmaceuticals
- HELIOS pharmaceuticals
- Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- IPCA - A dose of life
- J.B. Chemicals Pharmaceuticals
- John Lee Pharmaceuticals
- Johnson and Johnson
- Khandelwal Pharma
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- MAC Labs
- Macleods Pharmaceuticals
- Mankind Pharmaceuticals - Serving Life
- Morepen Pharmaceuticals
- MSD Pharmaceuticals - Be well
- Natco Pharmaceuticals
- Novo Nordisk Pharma
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- R.P.G. pharmaceuticals
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals
- Rayh Health Care
- Sandoz a Novartis company
- Sanofi Aventis Pharmaceuticals
- Serum Pharmaceuticals
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Sun Pharma
- Sunrise Remedies
- Systopic Pharmaceuticals
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- UCB Pharma
- Unichem Laboratories Limited
- Unique Pharmaceuticals
- Walter Bushnell Pharmaceuticals
- Wockhardt Pharmaceuticals
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals